Friday, May 30, 2008

Again with the breathing

I only have fifteen minutes before I have to shut down my mockputer, so this post is going to likely be a tad Jotty McJottersen.
  • I went running yesterday afternoon and had to stop 2/3 of the way back from McCarren Park to the Billyburg bridge because my nostrils hurt. At first I thought this was a function of 76 degree weather, pollen, and the fact that it was around five. "Morning runs!" I thought.
  • But then I noticed my nostrils feeling prickly and sensitive this morning, 3/4 of the way towards McCarren Park from the Billyburg. I had to stop again. "Holy crap," I realized. Pollution.
Yup, the building orgasm going on in Billyburg right now is spewing lots of dust and man-made nano-building-materials directly into my lung-holes, and it hurts, and makes it hard to breathe, and that makes me hit the pause button on my workout, which makes me angry about the environment, and makes me wish for congestion pricing.

I'm also thinking about how we as a society, as industrials, what-have-you, optimize our systems for a given equation with certain variables. Then, over time, we realize, "Oh snap. I didn't realize about these variables over here." Such as: nostrils that hurt. (What is this, Ciudad de Mexico?!?) So, 2.0, we tweak the equations (ideally).

This is related to a smoothie I made after my run. I'll post that on Foodums.com.

1 comment:

Couture Carrie said...

Hi Anittah! Thanks for your sweet comment :)

As for having huge feet, it is sometimes rough, but did you know that designers like Pedro Garcia and Moschino have up to size 42?

As for running, I have found that after the first few miles, the rest is gravy. Next time you run, go for 10! Make sure to hydrate while you're out there - I wear a "fuel belt" with watered down Gatorade. Have fun!!

xoxox,
CC